Young Biscuit Poisoning Victims Laid to Rest in Soweto

Afaf Fahchouch
Afaf Fahchouch
2 Min Read

In a heart-wrenching scene that has gripped the entire community, Soweto came together today to bid a final farewell to two young souls tragically lost in the prime of their lives. Six-year-old Leon Jele Magagbe and four-year-old Neo Khang, who fell gravely ill after consuming biscuits purchased from a Naledi spaza shop earlier this month, were laid to rest in a poignant ceremony.

The joint funeral service, held at the Naledi Community Hall in Soweto, was a somber gathering, with the hall overflowing with mourners dressed in mournful black attire. The pain and sorrow etched on the faces of those present was palpable, reflecting the profound impact of this unfortunate incident on the tight-knit Soweto community.

Civic organizations, political parties, and compassionate community members turned out in droves to show their support for the Khang and Magagbe families during this dark hour. The presence of so many, from diverse backgrounds, stood as a testament to the unity and solidarity that defines Soweto in times of crisis.

Leon Jele Magagbe, affectionately known as “Captain” due to being the sole son of his parents, was remembered in a poignant obituary that highlighted the promising life tragically cut short.

Young Neo Khang, a Grade R pupil at Khauhelo Primary School, was described by his family as their “most handsome and brightest flower.” His future held the promise of greatness, which was extinguished too soon.

As the final farewells were said, the community of Soweto now faces the difficult task of healing and supporting grieving families. The investigation into the suspected food poisoning incident continues, leaving the community eager for answers and justice for these innocent lives lost.


Share this Article
Leave a comment