A well-known Islamic institution in the heart of Cairo suffered a devastating fire on Saturday, which is a significant event in history. Unfortunately, the fire happened just a few days after the institution’s staff had moved to a newly built capital city located in the desert, about 45 kilometers east of Cairo. The fire has caused widespread concern and sadness because of the institution’s cultural and historical significance.
Sources reported that the fire primarily affected the top floor of the Ministry of Religious Endowments, also known as Awqaf, building. However, witnesses observed flames emerging from a second-floor window, indicating the potential for further spread and damage.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported as a result of the blaze. In response to the incident, a committee is being assembled to investigate the cause of the fire and assess the extent of the damage incurred, as confirmed by a spokesperson from the ministry.
A swift response to the emergency was witnessed, with at least seven firetrucks promptly deployed to the scene. After several hours of concerted efforts, the firefighting teams managed to largely extinguish the flames, preventing further escalation of the situation.
The main portion of the building holds significant historical value, having been constructed back in 1898. Over the years, wings were added on both sides in 1912 and 1927, contributing to its architectural heritage. Recently, a considerable number of the ministry’s employees relocated to the new capital, opting for a more serene and organized environment away from the bustling city of Cairo. This transition took place towards the end of July.
The Egyptian government plans to repurpose certain former ministry buildings through the utilization of the Sovereign Fund. This strategic initiative aims to attract crucial investments and play a vital role in revitalizing central Cairo. By redeveloping these structures, the government envisions a positive transformation that will contribute to the regeneration and rejuvenation of the city’s central area.