In a devastating incident, a woman lost her life in a shack fire in Drieziek near Orange Farm. Joburg Emergency Services received a distress call in the early hours of Saturday morning, only to find the house engulfed in flames upon arrival.
The unfortunate victim had left her stove on throughout the night in an attempt to ward off the cold. However, this decision proved fatal as the unattended stove caused the fire to break out, resulting in her death due to smoke inhalation.
Emergency responders swiftly transported another adult and a toddler to the hospital for immediate medical attention.
Nana Radebe, spokesperson for EMS, confirmed that the two-plate stove was the source of the fire. In light of this tragic incident, Radebe urged residents to exercise caution during the winter season, emphasizing the importance of never leaving heaters and stoves unattended.
The heart-wrenching loss serves as a somber reminder of the dangers posed by such practices, underscoring the need for vigilance and safety measures to prevent similar tragedies from occurring in the future.