In the early hours of Wednesday, a massive fire broke out at the popular “Yan Katako” market located in the Sabon Gari area of Zaria, Kaduna State. The fire, which reportedly started at around 1 am, continued raging until the afternoon, leaving behind a trail of destruction.
A pole fell on the roof of one of the shops after Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company restored power, according to Hamisu Buhari, the Chief Security Officer of the market. Despite efforts to attract fire service agencies in the area, the market officials had to contact the fire service at Sabon Gari Main Market.
Alhaji Alin Ashiru, the chairman of Timber dealers in the market, attributed the inferno to an electric spark. He confirmed that about 150 shops had been burnt to ashes, with property worth millions of naira destroyed.
However, when contacted, the Head of Corporate Affairs at KEDCO, Abdul Azeez Abdullahi, confirmed the fire incident but denied that the electric spark caused it. They have not ascertained the cause of the fire yet.
The devastating incident has left many traders and residents of the area in distress. While some people are trying to salvage what is left of their shops, others are lamenting the loss of their means of livelihood. The market is known for selling a variety of goods, including clothing materials, electronics, food items, and furniture
The state government has not issued an official statement on the incident yet, but people expect that it will put measures in place to provide relief and support for those affected by the fire.